Welcome To Great Expectations!
Hi, I’m Rebecca Williams, a certified nurse-midwife and certified professional midwife practicing in the Salt Lake area since 2004. I attend out-of-hospital births in both the home and birth suite setting because I believe women should have safe, wonderful choices regarding their birth experience.
The births I’ve shared with my families in Utah continue to amaze and humble me. Thank you to all the families who have trusted me with their births. I’m honored to be a part of such a fabulous milestone in your lives.
Women choose an out-of-hospital birth with a certified nurse-midwife because:
- They know they’ll be supported in having the birth experience they desire.
- They want to know and be comfortable with their birth attendant.
- They want to choose their labor and birth positions, including whether they will have a water birth.
- They don’t want harnessed to monitors and IV’s.
- They want a safe birth, without unnecessary interventions.
- They want a C-section rate below 3%, instead of the 30% rate common in many hospitals.
- They want to be in control of what they wear, what they eat, and whom they invite to their birth.
- They want their partners involved.
- They want to birth in an environment that believes birth is a normal, natural process that women have successfully done for countless years, instead of a medical procedure.
- They want to keep their babies near them and breastfeed immediately after birth.
- They want the option of prescription medicines if needed for mastitis, urinary tract infections, thyroid problems, yeast, etc.
Birth Spot Availability
For those planning ahead: I will be on birth vacation early January 2014 to early February 2014 for a family vacation. I’m already missing my grandkids/family so much I might take time off to visit them October 2014.
I am booked from now through the end of 2013. The 2013 wait lists are so full… I’m sorry that I can’t add anyone else. Those with a due date (or who tend to birth after February 7, 2014) please let me know so we can plan those birthday parties.
If you would like to be placed on a wait list in case a space frees up for 2014, please e-mail me rebecca [Email address: rebecca #AT# greatexpectationsbc.com - replace #AT# with @ ] with your contact information and due date, and I will let you know if a birth spot becomes available. If you are already one of my clients, please give me a call and we will make special arrangements if possible.
Of the more than 525 labors I’ve managed in Utah, I’ve only had to transfer nineteen women during labor (none emergently) and five moms after the birth. All “my” babies have been healthy so I haven’t had any newborn transfers. My maternal and fetal mortality rate is zero.
The national transfer rate for out-of-hospital births is around 10% for moms and 3% for babies so I’ve been very fortunate.